Friday, October 31, 2003

Tappi Tikarrass

Well my dark mood of yesterday did not last as the reason for it evaporated as I said it would. Feel papery today though as if nothing is quite right but without being able to decided exactly what the problem is. I made a stupid mistake this morning and though it is resolved, I still feel odd about it.

Music is (and this is from the media player and not the CD) Drumming by Evelyn Glennie - A percussive tour de Force according to the review which I also can get ffrom this new-fangled invention. Certainly is. Drums connect with deeper areas of our brains than normal music. The poem I wrote this morning - Barong Dance is about the link between the music and the dance in Balinese Dance dramas. Each movement of the dancers' bodies reflects an element of the music. The fingers move like leaves and match the high sounds of the little cymbals - Ceng-Ceng I think they are called. (When I bought my Balinese metalphone, I bargained badly and should have said that the agreed price had to include some Ceng-Ceng as well. ) The arms (and I suppose legs as well though I don't remember them moving except to move the dancers across the floor) reflect the middle registers while the boom of the gongs and other lower range instruments correspond to the movement of the whole body. All this analysis seems silly after having written a poem which describes it exactly as far as I am concerned.

No comments: