Wednesday, October 29, 2003

The Alice Springs Platypus Appreciation Society

All that stuff about rainy streets by the docks cam true yesterday as I drove home. Seemed apt, as if I had written the evening out before it happened.

We watched the last part of Channel 4's 100 scariest moments on tape last night. It was odd that of all of the 'moments', the most scary were from old black and white movies and TV shows without any gore at all. The Evil Dead was just silly. I suppose if I was on my own at night and watching it I might be a bit scared but there was a ghost story on the list called Oh Whistle and I'll Come to You starring Michael Hordern and though the ghost was a sheet it was far scarier than someone gouging out eyes. By the way - the link is to the text of the original story by MR James. The story is now on the Palm pilot for reading at bus stops and other places with lots of people about. And another thing, in the clip from Jaws when the decaying head falls into view in the hole in the boat, even though I knew exactly when it was coming, I jumped because I remember how high I jumped the first time at the cinema. Forget being worried about getting back in the water, I was scared of sharks all the time full stop. Of course, now I know that far more people are kicked to death by donkeys than are killed by sharks and any shark/human horror stories are actually ones of exploitation of sharks by humans. Give that Great White a name.

No comments: