Friday, October 03, 2003

Feel Dizzy. Feel Fine, Feel Hazy.

Listening to - The Honey Tangle - Adult Net

Using "Adult Net" as a search term for Google is worse than looking for "Blue Nun". Don't do it at work.

This means that I have to summarise Adult Net myself. Adult Net was fronted by Brix Smith, the wife of Mark E of The Fall and sometime lover of Nigel Kennedy - Sorry - Kennedy!. The music is jangly 1980s pop with a bit of intelligence in the writing - sort of like The Primitives but a bit more orchestral. Reminds me of my mid-twenties.

Guitarry Squalls can save the world. Think when you know that the words of the music in your head are your own and you know that they were stolen from you because they are just so right for what you are thinking, that connection with the instruments and the whole sound. I don't analyse the music any more. I used to take apart each track and work out how the instruments fitted together. Maybe my ears are failing me but music, which used to be a technical thing to me, has blended into some weird whole. My dad said that he first noticed his hearing was going, when he realised he couldn't hear the highest frequencies of bird song. I have mid-range frequency hearing loss in one ear due to tinnitus and maybe this is why things blend in. The brain fills in so many gaps in its sensory input, so maybe it takes a huge amount of hearing loss to make a real difference to ability.


No comments: