Saturday, September 24, 2005

Rossetti Lamenting The Death Of His Wombat

Does this preclude the existence of children full stop? I was looking for the child-catcher when I read it.

Our tea breaks are often occupied by watching the big yellow trucks that criss-cross the earthworks over the other side of the railway from the office. They shuttle back and forth over the dusty tracks, simply shifting dirt from one place to another. There is lots of building going on. Yesterday I think I managed to work out exactly what they are making. It’s a launch pad! The International space station is to be supplied direct from Chorley. Honestly, far in the distance, safely away from the headquarters of Chorley FM, there is a tower with gantries and supply trucks and a bunker for the mayor to come and watch the launches from. I haven’t read the company manual enough to know if I allowed to take photographs so there is a chance I will be able to document this secret construction which has been glossed over as some sort of Keynesian work-generation project – no one could live in houses with walls that thin.

No comments: