Saturday, September 17, 2005

Belay That You Galoots!

Not much this evening. I am aiming to watch The Secret Life Of Arthur Ransome in a few minutes which will no doubt trot out all the stuff about the intelligence services and double agents etc. I have often promised myself a complete set of the hardback versions of the Swallows And Amazons stories, the ones with all the illustrations strewn over the covers like stamps on a suitcase. They will have to wait and I will have to rely on my disparate paperbacks if ever I want to calm myself with some rose-tinted thirties nostalgia. Actually, I have to say that Ransome’s abilities in the old cloak-and-dagger department are so obvious when you re-read the books. The structuring of the stories is good as well. I used to think that Great Northern? was my favourite but now the tales of the Broads seem better.

No comments: