Tuesday, September 27, 2005

It's Incompetent And It's Unspellchecked!

So many other blogs contain wisdom and good writing far in excess of anything here. However, sometimes I feel that they may be giving this impression through over complication rather than by the use of any skill. Complexity in daily diary entries very often highlights contradictions in the way people think. I know that I can completely change my view on something without going through any intermediate stages of ambivalence and this is wrong or just plain hypocritical. I have been feeling rather shallow in view of some of the posts I have been reading. I have to tell myself that the content of this blog is exactly what I intend it to be. There is a measure of censorship, which I have already mentioned, a sort of excision of all the stuff which could go into a deeper and more secret journal (which does not exist). The disjointedness of this writing also strikes me often and deeply. How does a great writer or even a mildly competent one manage to keep a flow that means that long sentences seem balanced and that a concept comes through the complexity that is inevitable with such stuff? It is all hard work. There is no shortcut, no stream of consciousness which allows sloppy construction; it all comes down to being able to put down a sentence and then shape it further until it says what you want it to say and still flows. Blogs are almost by definition, always going to be instant channels that take the 'you had to be there' thing to the extreme. Most of them are like listening to someone report their dreams which apart from a few strange people, are very boring things. Can't be bothered any more.

No comments: