Saturday, September 10, 2005

Harry Enfield Will Be Pleased

Queen Elizabeth looks down on me as I write. Not the one we’ve got now and not when she was Queen. Cup of tea to the first link to the actual picture. There must be live animals in the picture on the cover of Another Day On Earth, some in tanks ready to be bought and eaten. In Behind The Wall, Colin Thubron describes how he buys a live owl, which is destined for someone’s table. He releases it from the window of a train carriage he is sharing with a group of Chinese soldiers. He thinks everyone is asleep but is startled by the open eyes of one of the sleepers, probably annoyed at the loss of the delicacy. I think he mentions that he feels that this goes against the code of the travel writer, like those wild-life film makers who stepped in to care for a wild-dog pup which had been abandoned.

I asked for some Danish Blue at the deli counter this morning, possibly to offset the five portions of fruit and veg per day, which I have been managing to stuff in over the last few weeks and to go with the cool glass of Abbot Ale which stands beside me as I write. The stuff I have here is labelled Stilton, I have been charged for Stilton but I asked for Danish Blue. Now what with all the confusion around getting the beer from the fridge, locating the bottle opener, finding a suitable glass, I’m not sure whether it is Danish Blue or Stilton. The question I have to ask myself is do I feel lucky.

Sorry about that!

The children are in a funny mood, probably for the reasons I mentioned in the earlier post about back to school. Not that Number One Son is at school yet, though if it included a media studies course on the impact of Postman Pat on Pre-school viewing habits, I am sure he would be in after his sister, dragging his pump-bag behind him.

I think it was Stilton.

No comments: