Sunday, September 11, 2005

No it’s not me!

We went to the beach with the Gormley statues again this afternoon. I mean we went to the beach that has the Gormley statues; we didn’t travel with the Gormley statues – the chassis wouldn’t take one of them. Actually there are the well-known Gormley-Statues of Wiltshire so I suppose we could have travelled with them. We didn’t. Daughter came home with loads of shells as you can see which I am told are for some sort of artwork. She carried them in her hat. There are thousands of shells on the beach; we could start a business. You know the stuff, shell-encrusted mirrors and toiler roll holders.

Someone close is having a crisis of faith. Not sure what has prompted it but it seems serious. You know my feelings on this; well you can pick them out of the rants about evolution and other such things. I think I will be able to help them to resolve the issue over time but how do you do that without colouring their views with yours? I am sure that it will work out in the end.

It is coming up to 19 years since I left college for the wonderful world of work; that transfer from molly-coddled student to dropped-in-it-and-confused graduate has been a major barrier to my backwards view of my life. It sometimes seems that I can see all the stuff at the Liverpool site as one continuous thing, changing yes but all visible as one thing with the same colleagues, and the same location. College, in contrast, is hazy, some of the names have gone for good and it is coloured with a nostalgia that borders on the cardigan-slippers-and-Vera-Lynn style that goes with my views of WWII and beyond. Sometimes, schooldays seem clearer in comparison. I have just realised that this sounds as if the reason could be a high intake of certain dodgy substances, which is not the case. I got drunk more often at school. For Civil Engineers see Boring! I know! I should make an effort to document some college stuff but to be honest the course I took was not one which attracted a high number of interesting characters. They were nice enough and one or two of them were good friends. Steve Poole – drop us a line if you have time.

I have just had to explain the Gormley-Statues stuff. Email me for a deconstruction. This beer is quite strong tonight. No cheese though.

No comments: