Sunday, September 04, 2005

Back In ‘52

I found my wife listening to The Freak Zone on BBC 6 this evening. At first I thought it might have been the ‘It’s that nice Stuart Maconie’ factor but she was actually enjoying it though something over the edge sent her back to Classic FM. I have also found out that the enthusiasm for the radio is probably more due the fact that I am more likely to do the washing up with BBC 6 available in the kitchen as well as from the TV. Anyway – digital heaven has arrived in this house.

The cinema trip this afternoon was almost free for both my daughter and me. She had a free ticket for Herbie: Fully loaded courtesy of a certain fast food outlet while in best Beano fashion I had been handed a reward after returning a lost purse. I refused it at first of course but was threatened with something if I didn’t. Well you can’t just drop it on the floor can you? It was either that or a ‘slap-up meal’. What is a slap-up meal? There are always curly sausages in mountains of mash and tongues hanging out. Never had one myself. Saveloy and chips was my reward meal of choice. Anyway, film review is short. Great effects, great races, naff plot, cut so bad that it makes the relationships of the main characters difficult to believe. They did manage to avoid to many digital manipulations of the car but there were no real laugh-out-loud moments. The Wallace and Gromit movie is still ‘coming soon’.

We watched Mrs Dalloway yesterday. I have had the book by the side of the bed for some months now but I have never really got started with it. I was beginning to wonder if I could manage another Ulysses even if it is a lot shorter but after seeing the film, which was wonderful, I may restart it. The production notes on the DVD also made we think about dragging a biography of Virgina Woolf out of the library. I may be forced to finish all the other books I have to read before this is allowed.

No comments: