Friday, September 02, 2005

Funny and Zooey

Type a sentence randomly and then take it back. Delete it. See how far you get before you decide that it needs erasing. I was readin the food and drink section of the bee book yesterday. It quoted a 17th century recipe for mead which seemed so lacking in detail, as to be meaningless. These days we expect our recipes to have a Deliahesque amount of detail. Lets face it, deliah's recipes always work. My wife actually has the video of one of her shows in which she demonstrates how to quarter a chicken. It has to be dead first! Before I read the mead instructions, I was contemplating having a go but after that and the description of the taste of mead (horrible apparently) I don't think I will bother.In my final year at middle school (three years - 11 to 14), a couple of us made some ginger beer which we left in the biology lab ready-room (The bit where the science teachers go to make their tea in the lab equipment). We never got to consume it for whatever reason and I suspect it remained undiscovered until causing a minor explosion as the building was demolished. The lab also featured live chinchillas which escaped from their cage and made a frugal living behind the plasterboard walls, occasionally livening up a lesson with their mating squeals. Practical biology! You can't beat it!

We were also taught how to kill and pluck chickens. I have probably told you about how I was lucky enough to have to do Rural Science until I was 14. I bet there aren't many people in my town who can draw the insides of a cow and thankfully, having managed to forget the trauma that was RS, I am one of them. We did have bees I remember. OK! I told you that already.

No comments: