Monday, July 14, 2003

Whatever happened to Knoxxy Eugenia?

Hands up all those who said "Nothing" because that is what happened to her. Remember I said that there is nothing outside the text. Well I suppose on the few occasions I thought about possibly writing some more of her life, something did happen to her, or was it just what happened to the fuzzy cloud of thoughts within my head which seem to co-incide slightly with the idea of Knoxxy Eugenia?

Index of things I am thinking about today :-

Brunelleschi
Maxell Tape advert from MTV
Rocks
Very Tall Buildings (The Space Elevator)
Particle pairs for communications

Some of the notes about this state that if you create an entangled pair of particles and force one of them to spin one way, then the other will spin the other way. I am not sure that you can do that. I thought that the situation was that if you observed the spin of one particle, then the spin of the other had to be in the opposite direction. Maybe it is the case that you can force a spin and get the other to spin the other way. In which case, do we not have a instant method of communication? Sounds like a free lunch to me.

As you can see I have changed my Blog template and started putting links down the side. My wife will probably complain and she is the only person who reads this unless you want to write to me and prove otherwise. Actually I have found it rather traumatic to change the template, not difficult, just upsetting that something which is so familiar has now changed. Not many people are very good with change and even those who are would probably not be good if they changed to having no change in their lives.

I bought the first Radiophonic Workshop album at the weekend - This one - Made on a shoestring probably literally - along with a milk bottle and several pieces of paper and a half-empty tin of baked beans. Anyway, this is very much like the advert tunes of Manhattan Research but with a feeling that it was done more for love than money. I haven't seen my copy of Manhattan research for sometime - I hope it is safe somewhere. Don't forget that the Aphex Twin started off in the same way as these guys.

I need to index this blog in a way which will make it more interesting to look at, like the way the Saturday Guardian magazine has an alternative index which always seems more juicy; though when you get to the page you have been attracted to, it it just like any other. This does however give you a different way of reading the magazine. What can I put in the side bar which will appear random each time it is is loaded? Can my image hosting site handle asp? These and other questions will be answered at the end of the Universe or when Paxman is nice to someone, whichever comes first. Actually, he was quite nice to JK Rowling the other night. Which reminds me - AS Byatt - sour grapes or what? Just because her books are top of the list for Insomniacs Anonymous as non-addictive sleeping aids and JK Rowling has got loads of kids actually reading something quite complex. To offer up Terry Pratchett as an alternative seems trite in the least. Maybe, I didn't continue far enough into the Discworld series but after three books, they began to sound the same. And it is almost as if Mr Pratchett is afraid to stop and let the story tell itself without having some comedy magic in it. It is like being beaten up by one of Bob Monkhouse's joke books while watching Paul Daniels. I suppose I will have to read Possession so you cannot accuse me of being biased against a book which I have not read though at least one person I know has tried to read it and had to give up. What is it about anyway? Hold on a second while I take a look. Oh dear! Sounds like something I might actually like. Come back in a few weeks.

I polished off two books at the weekend while still keeping the Bill Bryson on the stack. They were the first of the Lemony Snicket books (which we both have been meaning to read for a long time) and the dead Famous book on Leonardo Da Vinci. The Lemony Snicket was, as he promises in the first few lines, very dark and nasty and told in a very traditional manner which because it is so unfashionable is quite "out there". The Children are a sort of Glass family for younger readers (or maybe what the Royal Tenenbaums who are the Glass family by another name after all). The Leo book was very good but I knew most of it from Alan Yentob's program about him a few weeks ago. I still think I have learnt more history from the dead Famous books than I have from all the school history I was taught though I still remember all about the Corn Laws and Habeas Corpus. And I still can hear my History teacher pronouncing the name "Metternich". It must be said with a real chhhhhhh at the end.

I have to get a digital camera and then I can be a photoblogger. I long to be a photoblogger. It seems just wonderful to be able to take pictures of anything you want and post it. Not only can you dump your mind onto the web, you can illustrate it as well. Sooner or later someone is going to have their whole life posted a la Truman. Well it won't be me but wait and see what you get.

No comments: