Friday, July 25, 2003

Deasil and Widdershins
or a scientific attempt to compress the Village People into the smallest possible space


As you know, I am not prone to crackpot ideas about the supernatural. However, as you also know, I am quite happy to talk about such things. Today's topic has me slightly spooked. As I was driving to work this morning, I passed a very large black dog loping along the pavement. At first, I thought it was some sort of Irish Woflhound but its nose was too short. As it had the potential for more than a friendly lick, I reported it to the Police - The station is only 200 yards from where I saw the dog and it was travelling in that direction anyway. Now, even before Harry Potter and Sirius Black, I was aware of the mysterious implications of seeing black dogs; I come from a county with a very high incidence of (belief in) fairies. I can safely say that this black dog paid no attention me and simply carried on in the direction it was travelling without even looking at the car. I couldn't tell whether it was happy or angry (I would have needed first to stop the car and second to buy one of these). Lets face it; I was not trapped inside a rickety old church with the dog running widdershins about it so I think I am safe. I will convince myself of the rational explanation for this sooner or later.

Soundtrack is a various selection of the Volume CDs from the early 90s. I used to get this every time it came out. It consisted of a nice thick book with articles about all the bands on the full-length CD attached. I can't find anything about them on the web but the current one - Volume five - has the Orb, The Grid, L7, Cocteau Twins and various other bands of that ilk. Right now we have Venice Groove by The Sandals which has that ecstatic flute you get in sixties funk records. Having just searched for this record, I have found this site about Volume itself. Life falls into place eventually doesn't it?


No comments: