Wednesday, July 16, 2003

Soil Festivities

Soundtrack Two Pages - Philip Glass

I was listening to Withholding Pattern by John Surman earlier and both this and the Glass piece above fit the oppressive atmosphere we have today. There is some giant hand holding an invisible gauze over this city trying to foment some form of uprising. I can only hope that we get a storm soon. It used to be that it got hot, you had a storm and it got fresher but now the storms seem to miss us and the heat just fades away.

Talking about Glass reminds me that I have just read in the Bill Bryson book that James Watson (of Watson and Crick) distinguished himself on the radio programme The Quiz Kids (he's in one of these pictures) which before I read the next line made me think of the Glass family. Bryson dutifully declared Watson to be an inspiration in part for Salinger's Glass family. Nice bit of loose-end sorting there.

No comments: