Friday, July 25, 2003

Mercator

Nothing - a special report. The complexity of the world seems to fade into the background here. We have nothing worth talking about and still there is so much going on everywhere else. I can close my eyes and see the Neutrinos colliding with my neurones. Who needs all that water and mine shafts? CERN is just another drain on resources. The light over the buildings faded as the devices started up. Round and round went the particles searching for something to crash into. They never found it. If I travel fast enough and my mass increases, does my own personal gravity increase? Is this part of relativity? I have not read about this. Outside, the sky still fades and the rain comes down. We sit in the doorway and watch it keeping just out of the wind, still warm and inside the house but connected to the water by the splashes from the ground outside. How do you tell anyone how wonderful this is? There is nothing like the rain. We are unique in the Universe. No other planet has water that comes from the sky or if they do, then there is no intelligent life form to experience it. They do not see things. Sight is also unique to us. As we do not see anyone else, then as far as we are concerned then we do not see it. Wait and see something only when you measure it. Humans created everything. Nothing existed in any sensory manner before we were here to see and experience it. I dreamed of being faceless with no eyes and not ears. How would I experience the world? My consciousness would not last long for I would be unable to sustain myself, but for the time I existed, what would the Universe feel like? It would be nothing. I would experience my own thoughts, a world within my head. If I had never seen or heard, what would those thoughts be? Maybe when we create the first computer with an intelligence and learning capacity matching that of humans we should not connect up any sensory equipment and just monitor the processes; let it freewheel for a bit. Think of the revelation when it was 'born'. No mind can be so pure. Think of those poor children who were kept from language to see what language they would speak by default. Many hundreds of years ago that was. Then there was Genie. She was the same and she didn't speak Hebrew or Sanskrit did she? She spoke nothing. Her parents stole her speech before she ever had it. Talk to the children and they will talk back. David Crystal knows all. Accent does matter but we all have one. My mind races when I write like this. Self reference and complete automatons must surely be dangerous. Who is controlling the freewheeling mind? We can never know but it is just me. My mind is mine and comes complete with the developed mind of all my ancestors. Think of this. You can trace your lineage right back to a single celled animal. All amoebas can. They are all the same genetically until they mutate somehow. Does my mind have elements of the control processes of such simple creatures? DNA is the beginning of intelligence. All of our computers are based on the simple idea of one or zero and all their complexity is built up from that. All life is based on DNA and DNA on its own is far more complex than one or zero. No wonder we are so clever. Computers should be based on something more complex than binary arithmetic. Think of the speed you could achieve with a living computer using the bases of DNA to form its core processing ability. And you would have a computer that could replicate itself. All out desktops here use the same basic processing now as they did 15 years ago. They are just faster, nothing more. Change the architecture and create something new. What then do we do when the computer is as sentient as we are? The idea of a computer is to have it do the things we do not want to do. What if the machines got bored with their lot? We have to retire them or get them to develop something better. This is ludicrous self-reference. Lets dance. Forget science. Check the grammar little ones. It is so important to not be random like this. We are not happier than when we can find some prose to pull apart. Use a long word when a short one will do. This just confuses the enemy who you can never know. They do not know you and yet they feel they must dislike you and press their buttons to try and get rid of you. 108 he was, a hero and a lion. The world never changes and wars never change. We will send men into battle until the world ends in a mess of comets and tidal waves. We will just be clouds in the galaxy by then; consciousness propelled to the stars. What if I was a beam of light? - my consciousness encoded in those photons. I would travel at lightspeed and reach everywhere instantly. I would have the whole universe in my mind and the universe would be mine. Maybe that is what God is? If God is a beam of light then he is everywhere at the same time. Einstein created God when he imagined being that beam. Man has defined the universe and we just cannot see the complexity.

No comments: