Wednesday, July 23, 2003

Beware the Pigeon Inspectors

There have been a number of people walking across the roof of the building which we can see out of the office window here. They first look down at something on the roof and then point up at the sky. We can only imagine that they are looking at dead pigeons and wondering where they come from. Reminds me of the episode in 24 Hour Party people where Shaun Ryder and (in the film anyway) his brother poison hundreds of Manchester Pigeons using bread spiked with some controlled substance. It took a few minutes for the stuff to take effect meaning that many pigeons simply expired in mid-air and rained down on the city. Been done before of course, if only in song - Poisoning Pigeons in the Park. Tom Lehrer is of course, the writer of the Elements song but that is probably the least scandalous of all his tunes. Marilyn Manson has nothing on the Masochism Tango. It seems if you dress in a suit and have a Haaaarrrrrrvaaaaarrrrrd accent, you can get away with anything though I do think one or two of his records were banned in this country. It makes you proud to be a soldier.

The phrase "Harvard accent" reminds me that Loyd Grossman is doing a history of sculpture for Channel 5. Just to let you know of course. I am not that keen on sculpture. You don't get the variety that is possible with painting. Of course I can appreciate the beauty of some sculpture but it just does not fire me up like some medieval religious painting does. Indeed I would rank most painting over any sculpture. Even the standard purple Rothko painting has more subtlety than many so-called masterpieces of sculpture. (I have just realised that I have never had to spell the word 'subtlety' before and it was struggle.) I may still watch the Sculpture programme though even if Mr Grossman's accent could sculpt marble on its own.

No comments: