Tuesday, November 25, 2003

Tajikidina Mandina Sarjanamuria Guidin Ahuri

Music is Sound Magic Volume 1 by Afro-Celt Sound System

Drones are here. Respect to the Drone.

I have a mind full of mathematics. Must be watching Mindgames that does it. I think I have the answer to the medal problem. Draw a graph and there you have it.

Remember those lazy summer days when school seemed so far away? I used to love Sunday nights, The World About Us was on and these were programmes unencumbered by loud music and hi-tech images. They had narrators with sonorous voices and a patter that matched the subject. Natural History programmes are just so much noise these days. With the exception of course of David Attenborough. I always remembered the programme about carnivorous plants - I think it was on the cover of the Radio Times for that week. Of course, during school time, Sunday evenings were about the worst time of the week ever. This depression is still with me. I hate Sunday nights. I keep thinking of a picture that I saw at a church somewhere. It was of sun through clouds and it always struck me a final end to not only the day but to everything. These sort of pictures are of course supposed to represent God shining down from heaven but I never got any impression of a heaven behind those clouds. It was more of an admission that no one had any real idea what was "out there" in terms of spirituality and therefore they had to resort to empty images of a mildy calming nature. It seems sloppy to use such images as representations of God. We want intellectual ideas and all this says is that you must have faith. Now this might have been clever 500 years ago but it does not stand up to analysis these days.

If you have read all by Blog entries then you will know that I am sceptical about a lot of things but I like to think that the extremes of human understanding are covering a great deal of stuff which we will never understand. A colleague here (not Martin by the way but another unnamed member of staff) was talking about this last week (we trod dangerous ground by referring to religion and politics at work). He said that religion had no impact on him or anyone he knows. I am trying to think about how this makes me feel. I don't believe in the way the CofE or the Catholics or any other religion does but this lack of spirituality made me feel rather empty. It is not just the rejection of religion - I have probably done that myself - but the disinterest in anything that might replace it. Thinking about it, I suppose that thinking about things other than the bottom of the pyramid of needs (Sorry! Tavi rubbish I know but useful here) is the exception but it does depress me.

No comments: