Wednesday, November 05, 2003

M' F'low Mercuns

Don't know how long that title will stay up there. If I change it I will then have to remove this whole sentence but then again, this Sentence is False.

Music is Quiet by Sheila Chandra and that is not False.

Blissed out, laid back and wanting more of the same. No description necessary. In fact no description preferable. Describe something so sublime and it becomes less so. Write nothing but nothing about this.

It feels like there are big metal things moving around above us. Big clangs are shaking the building and sending dust down from the ceiling. We like noise; big noise is powerful and fulfilling. Of course all modern music has to have a thump-thump. It connects with us like a dream of earthquakes when we lived in the Rift Valley and could die at any moment. Just like someone has determined the world's best joke (It was Dr. Richard Wiseman of MindGames) maybe someone is trying to find the world's most satisfying sound. I would go for a low scraping of metal of metal with a percussive interval like a very deep and short bass drum. Well at the moment I would anyway. Sometimes, absolute silence is the most satisfying sound.

Talking of silence, I am beginning to get annoyed with the continuous requirement of TV producers to add music to things that do not need it. They send a runner down to the music library and find anything remotely appropriate for the images they are going to show. I think I heard Enola Gay used as the backing music to a holiday article about Japan which is about as INappropriate as you can get. Maybe they had sacked the runner and it was a joke. Anyway, the music is so intrusive now that it is sometimes difficult to hear the words. Maybe that is the idea - the producers think they are producing dynamic wallpaper and it does not actually matter what the words are. My tinnitus will not cope. I know it's my own fault but not everyone with hearing loss is as stupid as me.

I am hoping the weather will clear up for tonight as that X2- flare from the Sun might finally allow me to see the Aurorae. My dad always tells me about seeing them in Shetland and The Faeroe Islands and I always get envious. About 15 years ago, I had to do a week of late shifts as a Computer Operator and it was during a possibly visible Aurorae. I cycled home after midnight with my head to the sky rather than the road, which is quite dangerous at anytime but in Liverpool on a Friday night, is probably akin to attempted suicide. Not a spark then. Tonight will be a problem as there will be fireworks and how! It's like The Somme around here - apart from there's no mud - and no one dies (well not many) and I've never seen anyone wearing a PickelHaube. So not like the Somme at all really. You know what I meant. Overextend an analogy again and I will come round and beat you up like a three-toed Sloth chewing a Dragonfly in Doncaster while ..... Time to finish that one.

There is too much music. Music needs to start and finish. Maybe our short attention span is a result of this continuous dropping in and out of pieces of music without allowing a resolution. I know that musicians leave pieces unresolved specifically to create tension but to do it with a three-minute pop song causes me to have a permanent feeling of lack of closure. I am like the musical version of The Boy Who Spun. Think about it and you will know I am right.


No comments: