Monday, November 24, 2003

Film Quiz

I was cajoled into going to see Elf this weekend. Cue many repeats of "Santa! I know him! I know him!" Better than I expected and I did manage to keep watching all the way through. 5 Year old daughter was also impressed and managed to sit still throughout. I was glad I managed to recognise Bob Newhart under all his Papa Elf Make-up not that is was really difficult as he always plays Bob Newhart doesn't he? Is Zooey Deschanel so named because of a parental fixation with JD Salinger? Silly naming your child after a character in a book, especially one by Salinger. You'd never catch me doing it.

Where to now? Lovely walk around the block last night. My daughter insisted that she was too hot and kept taking her coat off despite the ice already forming on the cars. The light reminded me of the trips across to Nottingham to see my Grandparents at Christmas. It was usually on a Sunday and we always ended up driving back at twilight
so that all the curtains of the houses were still open but the lights were on. Driving past, it was impossible to work out any particular things going on but it gave an overall impression of the calmness and general warmth of the time.

I looked it up for the sake of completeness and yes, Zooey Deschanel is named after Zooey in Franny and Zooey though Zooey is the brother. There is no more Salinger left for me to read. I bought "To Kill a Mockingbird" at the weekend and it is excellent.

I am that phony. Watch out! We will get you all in the end. Poetry!

No comments: