Tuesday, September 09, 2003

Whatever happened to Riviera Gigolo?

Soundtrack - The Hours - Philip Glass

Finished the Orwell book last night and strangely there was a visit to this page from a user listed as DTAYLOR. Now DJ Taylor is a family man as far as I remember and this visit was at something like 4:00 am. So unless there were night feeds required for a new arrival, I cannot work out what he was doing up so late, which makes me think that it was not the man himself. If it was then there is an irony in him looking and in me knowing that he is looking. As what I wrote was not insightful and probably very crass considering the depth of the book itself, then I expect he was not very impressed. Spooky nevertheless though probably well within the acceptable level of weirdness to satisfy Richard Dawkins that it was nothing more than coincidence.

As to the ending of the book itself, I was not quite as tear-jerking as at the end of the Laurie Lee Biography but then again this is understandable bearing in mind the differences as men and as authors. Laurie Lee died in old age looking out over a beautiful garden with all his family about him. Orwell died suddenly and alone in a London Hospital though knowing my soft spot for sad cases this should have made me sadder. I did like the section following his death - Orwell's Dream. It summed up his life backwards in one short paragraph and swept away all the political stuff to identify that Orwell was a man and a man more passionate about human kind as a whole than many of us are today. Try and identify the last thought of anyone and you get into severe philosophical territory.

I should really read Homage to Catalonia next. It has been sitting on the bookshelf for years since I got it as part of an offer at Waterstones. Whatever happened to Waterstones? This is the sound of a tree falling down - in the Quad?

On to Robert Hooke. Wasn't he the bassist in New Order?

No comments: