Tuesday, September 02, 2003

Valuable Experiences

We have removed all evidence of the electronic age and returned to the guitar and the fiddle. All music is folk to some degree and we are setting out to prove this. I still can't work up any enthusiasm for work. I know there are many special books I should have read and which I know will bore me.

The BBC article relating to Doctor David Kelly's Baha'i faith had a link to the BBC's own profile of the religion which after my rant and admissions from this morning seemed to smooth over loads of the arguments which I have about religion in general - the main one being that how can ALL religions be correct? The basic tenet of Baha'i seems to be that all religions are one and just windows on the same single God. It also states that the only thing one can know about God is that he exists and that all else must be inferred from this. It also has wide acceptance of people. We are all different but equal. Let's have a little pragmatism in our religion.

What would you do if you went back to when you were ten and knew you had gone back and knew all you know now? This was prompted by the What If programme on BBC4 yesterday. I didn't actually watch it because I realised straight away that this week’s question - What if the contraceptive pill had never been invented - was flawed from the start. The idea was do discuss if the Sexual Revolution would still have happened but with chaos theory, just one child not being born could have changed the world completely. I should have watched it to see if this came up or if the discussion was purely social. Oh all this is just rubbish isn't it? Why do I bother writing all this? Pathetic!

I will look out of the window for a while. It is raining but the whole city still has that green cushiony feeling of summer. It is not quite the bright green of early spring but it makes me think of the tumbling trees on the hills in a windy summer. The sound of wind through trees is evocative of so many things. Weather is so important to our moods, almost as much as music or whom we love. So much I write seems jerky; it does not flow unless I make that poetic effort which turns all prose into unlined poetry.

The word processor just turned 'who we love' to 'whom we love' which sounds so pompous when in relation to the rest of the junk here but I suppose I will have to accept it. That sums up today - having to be told how to write by the computer. And with that, I think the Kenneth Williams moment is gone. If you want something to take away the pain then read this.

No comments: