Thursday, September 18, 2003

Prince with a Thousand Enemies

Ed Broom has a page or two devoted to Freston Tower which has made me think about what follies we have around North Liverpool. There is nothing as tall as Freston Tower, though we do have a sail-less windmill, which as you can see from the photo has been sail-less for sometime. I should get a recent photo and post it for you but the trees are now quite tall and that is the reason it is not as impressive as it should be. We do have the new Blue-Cloud folly as the fourth grace but that is another story, which you may find in my archives somewhere.

Doesn't that sound good? My Archives! You don't expect to get to this age and have archives.

All the sounds through my head are sad ones today. Somehow nothing gets above a shrug in the how-are-things stakes. It is probably just the weather. Meteorology is not a job for the melancholic, though as I have said before I find rain very comforting. I sit out on the doorstep and watch it. My daughter has taken to this as well though she fidgets after a while. We don't have any particularly impressive view from the doorstep but that is not the point. The sense of being connected to the weather is there just as it was when I used to watch the rain from the holiday cottage we used to visit at LLandanwg. It often rained because we would usually come at October half term. The cottage had one long room on the ground floor that looked out over the bay and so we saw all the weather either about to reach us which had just passed over us. There was no TV and my dad used to torment us by saying that there was one but that it was locked away. Maybe he was joking or maybe he asked the owner to lock it away so that we had no distractions. It was definitely a room for listening to the radio. Once we witnessed a yacht founder on the rocks on the beach below. The crew escaped but when the craft had been salvaged we found all sorts of things from it. Dad got a Stanley knife that I think he still uses and we found a flare. I have mentioned this before. My brother and I were going to let the flare off but we bottled out because RAE Llanbedr is only a few hundred yards away and we knew we would start up some form or air-sea rescue. Anyway, we pointed it into a sand dune and pulled the trigger string. I can't quite remember what happened but we didn't get burned or anything like that.

I keep meaning to ask my dad if the cottage is still rented out.

Goodnight Hrairroo.

No comments: