Friday, September 12, 2003

32 Minutes past the hour

Well I didn't know this was happening. I am shocked. I can't imagine where all these people are. I certainly don't know any of them.

This of course leads me onto idealism. I used to think that everything could be solved by people being nice to each other. Even when heavily into squally rock music and nihilistic stuff like that, I thought the world would get better. As I get older (and I realise that this happens to everyone eventually - except maybe some of the baby timers) I begin to accept the cynicism that is the driving force behind most of our lives - in this country at least. The drive to bring the rest of the world "up to our standards" is a rush headlong into a mess of despair and nastiness. I try to note this sort of behaviour as I see it but more often than not I find myself saying to myself that there is nothing I can do and I should just accept it. Advertising is the pinnacle of this. It seems that as the people who were teenagers at the beginning of the '90s came into the agencies, they infected them with a misanthropy and a desire to show everyone as being horrible and out for themselves. Only occasionally do you get a 'nice' commercial or even a good one. Get that stuff out of your nose and start thinking. Talent is not something you can get by taking something. I was just about to write that it takes hard work but that struck me as so Daily Telegraph - a horrifying thought. They make you pay to get the Crossword online now you know. I am still bitter about that.

Now onto Manga. Well I am not sure if Spirited Away actually is Manga but it is Japanese and that certainly would give it many points on the plus side as being Manga. It is not on anywhere close but it may be soon. I am not a big Manga fan. I watched Akira a long time ago but nothing else. Someone write to me and tell me if Spirited Away actually is Manga, Anime or something else.





No comments: