Wednesday, September 24, 2003

It was the Goth what won it!

I think this poem was used as a question in University Challenge this week. A very witty summing up of Toilets' epic of depravity. I don't know if you should call it depraved but the phrase 'epic of depravity' sounds good. Bearing in mind that one excised section of the Wasteland referred to a waiter and some unnatural practices with a dog, I think 'depraved' is probably a very good word for it. Doesn't stop it being a good poem though.

This reminds me that I wanted to say that the DJ Taylor Orwell Biography made me aware of the links between various other biographies I have read. TS Eliot was linked with Ted Hughes at Faber and from there you have Sylvia Plath and Orwell. It is easy to link musicians and film stars because they have definite collaborations but literary links are always more tenuous. The only possible criterion is if a critic mentions two writes in the same article. I don't read criticism anyway. It seldom fulfils the promise of its function - to inform readers what they might like to read and what they will hate. Why did I start reading Sylvia Plath - because the critic in the Sunday Times said I should. I don't get the Times any more by the way. It turned into a version of the Beano with simple primary colour diagrams to explain the more complex things to its readers. Unfortunately, all the other Sunday papers seem to have taken the Times as an ideal to be copied. Oh what rubbish. Give up now before anyone dies of boredom or worse still, clicks the back button.

Bangor won by the way - My dad's friends went there so I was rooting for them.

No comments: