Friday, November 29, 2002


This is no time for the wedgy dance.

We went to see Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets last night. I am slightly concerned that Ms Rowling has invented mind reading as so much of the film is exactly as I see it in my head from reading the books. Of course what this really means is that she is just very, very good at creating an image from very few words. The only thing that I got wound up about (and I got annoyed with it in the book as well), I always though mythical Basilisks were supposed to have legs like their real-life counterparts. I know this is like arguing about how many Angels can dance on the head of a pin and how would the basilisk have got into the toilets through the pipes if it had legs? I don't know why I mentioned it really. Struggling for something to criticize I suppose.

I wish to tie up all the world's computing power in order to answer the question about Angels and pins. I think the philosophical argument goes along the lines of how much space does an Angel occupy, the answer to which is no space and all space at the same time. This is like my everything and nothing loops. If a computer can handle complex numbers and produce the inifinity of the Mandelbrot Set, then it should have no problem with Angels and Pins. No I am not being serious but it is an answer to those pseudo-scientific philosophers who try to turn vacuous thought into concrete mathematical equations which is as meaningful as the advert for a pen which has been used to write down a complex but very suspect equation that turned out to be for a Vodka-Martini. I can't find the exact equation but you can bet there were many disagreements over how correct that is. I know nothing about drink-mixing (except mixing Southern-Comfort and Cider in 1987 - never again) so here the topic ends.

No comments: