Friday, November 22, 2002


The Antipodes

Just before I went to sleep the other night, I became aware of everything directly beneath me and this led me to wondering what the exact antipodes of my location looked like. I am aware that it is probably ocean at the exact location which made me wonder what the sea-bed looked like instead and whether there were any creatures about at the time. I have been looking for a suitable picture to put in but I have been distracted by the Easter Island statues. They are pretty cool things. You can get fibreglass ones and while one might be nice in the garden, it would take up far too much room.

I am on my evening help-desk duty again. There are a few people left but it is really quiet again. Too Quiet. Maybe I should make some noise. I know! I am going to perform my own interpretation of 4.33. It will be a live performance but no-one from John Cage's estate will be able to hear it as they are not here. So they cannot sue me. It will be to accompany the beautiful sunset. Actually that was an hour and a half ago so it is to accompany the myriad lights of this teeming metropolis which need no music. I have mentioned already when I was in the Pennsylvania Hotel in Manhattan and how looking down on the streets from the 50th floor was weird because all the sound was filtered out. We are only on the third floor here but all but the loudest sounds are swallowed up.

A bonus entry for you this evening. Happy Trails!

No comments: