Tuesday, November 19, 2002


Shivering in my Cell

I think this is getting needlessly messianic. Why is everything so serious? Well listening to Mazzy Star doesn't help. I have no books with me today which leaves me feeling slightly uneasy despite the fact that I never ever read any books other than at home. They're usually there just for comfort. I do have a copy of Scientific American but that is one the web anyway. Oh well! As we are probably here just to enjoy ourselves, why worry about anything? I know that never satisfies anyone with an enquiring mind. There just seems to be a big gap which needs filling in order for us to understand what exactly we are and what we are doing. A sort of general feeling of angst that you are missing something without being quite aware of what you are looking for. Does this gap get filled as you get older so that you can be happy that you are fulfilled? I bet it doesn't. Meanwhile just listen to those records, see those films and be good.

Frankly I'd rather be here than in Philadelphia :-



(From the Malvern Hills Conservators website)

I feel so empty because I cannot think of what to write. Sometimes, the lack of thoughts to translate into these entries can be quite depressing, like a really bad dream or the nagging feeling that there is nothing to look forward to: I don't mean long-term, just that the next few days don't have anything out of the ordinary. Only they do. I am going to see Rabbit-Proof Fence one day and then Anita and Me next week. The link here is to the book which in some ways was like a teenage Stig of the Dump though it is obviously a lot more than that though it never seems to say anything overt about being Asian and growing up in the Uk in the 70s. It was obviously just an attempt to detail Meera Syal's experiences rather than to make a point. You life should just speak for itself and most people's lives do just that. It goes back to my idea above about the nagging gap. Just get on with things and you will fill the gap. My language is just not complex enough to say what I want to say, or maybe it is and I just want to get all the information out in one go. I could never write a novel, because I would have the whole plot of the next chapter worked out and would want to put it down rather than flesh it out. Sometimes I think I am still ten years old, trying to turn every English Essay question into something I want to write about; I must have lost so many marks for that in my exams. I onl;y just scraped through my English Literature O-Level because they never gave us anything we actually liked to read. I only managed to get the mark I did, because we had A Midsummer Night's Dream which I did enjoy rather than Henry IV (Part I). We also had "Where Angels Fear to Tread" which is dire if you are a teenage boy. I should re-read it but I probably never will. Why couldn't we have had Nineteen Eighty-four or some better poetry? I think I ignored all the poetry questions on the exam for some reason. We did no War poets just the old stuffy opium addicts - I sa Hullo Trees - Hullo Sky. (I don't think that now but kids want action not description).

I just went to the Molesworth link above and found another link (in this review) between 'The Goriller of 3B' and Harry Potter. Hogwarts is probably derived from 'The Hogwarts' - a Latin play by Marcus Platus Molesworthus.

New soundtrack before I go :-

Molam Dub - Jah Wobble and the Invaders of the Heart.

Yes! alright! I know! Ben Turpin - The Cross-Eyed Comedian - was never in the Keystone Cops.

No comments: