Tuesday, November 12, 2002


The set of all things which are NOT teaspoons.

Again I have started another book before finishing a previous one. At least I am half way through it in no time which suggests a completion date is imminent. I expect you want to know what it is don't you? It is Fermat's Last Theorem by Simon Singh. I only bought it this weekend before you think it is another "Brief History of Time" ( which I have read by the way. Why is it supposed to be so difficult? - Looks smug and blows on bent fingers). It is amazing that something which can be so clearly stated in so few words takes so much effort to prove ie.



Cubem autem in duos cubos, aut quadratoquadratum in duos
quadratoquadratos, et generaliter nullam in infinitum ultra
quadratum potestatem in duos ejusdem nominis fas est dividere:
cujus rei demonstrationem mirabilem sane detexi. Hanc marginis
exiguitas non caparet.




Yes! I know I am being funny. What I really meant was :-

There are no positive integers such that x^n + y^n = z^n for n>2

I don't for one minute think that the book is going to go off in detail and explain the proof; as far as I remember it involves higher dimensional mathematics of a very complex nature. I did read and mostly understand The Code Book also by Simon Singh. A great science writer.

Right! I am off to initiate a new blog listing all the blogs which mention other blogs. Or should that be teaspoons? Oh read the book (or Godel, Escher, Bach) then you will understand. Is it me or is the world getting more complicated? Actually, I think it is really getting simpler and reverting to the easy options. Natural Philosophy makes the world a beautiful and complicated place. There now seems to be a sort of collective Asperger's syndrome which means that people do not relate to anyone but their immediate contacts; no-one wants to make the effort to see any other point of view. I had a dream once, that Britain was beset by local differences which turned it into another Yugoslavia. I still worry that it could happen; not revolution but anarchy. People are stupid and short-termist. Money, Sex, Food. Nothing else. Maslow seems to creep into my head at this point. (Oh that I had bothered with sociology) Their hierarchy of needs is truncated after the boody needs. Self-actualization? Who needs it? Me actually. No more jokes about doughnuts. Well, not today anyway.

No comments: