Monday, January 27, 2003


PotterAid

Please read this article from the BBC before proceeding further.

Don't you feel sorry for them. I suggest that we in the West set up an aid process in order to send copies of the Harry Potter book to American Libraries. It makes me sad that the US has fallen on such hard times that it has to stop providing for its children. I never realised how bad it had actually got. There must be no money around at all.

Seriously though, how bad would it look for the US, if there was a campaign amongst the rest of the west to collect money to send books to American libraries. This is a country with its priorities all wrong. Of course so is the UK. There is money out there even in the depths of recession. It just goes to the wrong people. I don't mean full scale re-distribution of wealth; it is just that the salaries 'earned' by certain individuals bear no relation to the amount of work those people actually do.

So let us do it. I formally start the send-a-Harry-Potter-book-to-a-US-library campaign. It is not just physical poverty that causes misery. Don't forget, £8.49 will provide one whole copy of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix which in the correct hands will give many hours of reading pleasure for up to 50 American kids. That is of course if they don't get burned first. Still as Freud said when the Nazis burned his book - "What progress we are making. In the Middle Ages they would have burned me. Now they are content with burning my books." (They might have burned him if he had stuck around I suppose). I can't understand why they burned copies of Snow White along with the Harry Potter books. Are dwarves evil or something? How about Lord of the Rings? From what I remember it was supposed to be a Christian Allegory in the same vein as the Narnia.


Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery


Write to me if you like. I don't really care.

No comments: