Thursday, January 09, 2003


Holly Dolly Clone

Just for all the Londoners who have never seen it, The Guardian presents A user's guide to snow.

I have my headphones on here, and I have just heard a low rumble over the top of the music (Stereolab - Mars Audiac Quintet) which made me slightly anxious. We keep hearing the planes flying low over the building. Having the large window and being high up, we are more aware of the air traffic now. We spent a few minutes yesterday using trig to work out how far away the most distant vapour trail was. If the plane was at 25,000 feet then we estimate about 100 miles but then again we didn't take account of the curvature of the Earth. Martin of course knew that we needn't TAN because we knew the opposite side (25,000 feet) and wanted to know the adjacent side. TAN is opposite over adjacent, just to complete the lesson. This is of course all just ballpark. I think we had better close the blinds today so that we don't waste time staring out of the window and being fascinated by the smoke from the chimmneys. Yes! We are that boring.

I am like Zellaby except that I don't want to think of a brick wall and that is all I can think of. Where are the cuckoos when you need them? I have to crumble that wall myself. It is the only way. Why does John Wyndham always have someone who's name begins with the letter 'z' in his novels. Well, I haven't read all of them but in The Midwich Cuckoos and Trouble with Lichen there are such characters. I can't really be bothered looking up the characters from the other books just to check. There is no such character listed in the cast for either of the two film versions of Day of the Triffids so mayeb it is just a coincidence. The BBC TV Version of Day of the Triffids was far superior to the film. The sound of the clackers which preceeded the use of the Triffids' whip-like sting was chilling and often imitated at school by banging knuckles together. It still hurts if you do it. I started using it as an insult and what do you know a single knuckle clask became a gesture of abuse on 'Friends'. The 1962 film is awful unless you are 10. For the definitive John Wyndham film see Village of the Damned from 1960 (Avoid the John Carpenter remake) It is the best example of a film where nothing happens and still you are rivited. In my mind, films like this work better in British Villagers rather than US outposts, simply because so many films have used American towns that you expect something to happen. I seem to remember some Kids' show set in Avebury. Time to post.

No comments: