Friday, January 24, 2003


Plain Hunt Minimus

I have been trying to get my head around Change Ringing but it it still a problem understanding how the changes operate. I programmed a set of eight bells the other day and simply moved each bell from the bottom of the sequence to the top but for eight bells that repeated after only a hundred or so rounds (I can't be bothered to work out the exact number so don't write to me - well do write to me. it would be a change from the usual junk mail). Bearing in mind that the number of combinations of eight bells is 8! - 8x7x6x5x4x3x2x1 = 40320, I have not got the right method. (I could not bring myself to miss out the x1 when I just used the calculator to work that out - it just seems incomplete). Even though it was not the correct method, it still sounded quite nice using the midi piano sound. I got the playing of Pi to a nice stage as well. I put a chord on each highlighted beat which matched with the random note. In addition, I have set it to use any file as the notation and to simply mod each ascii value with 10 to get the note required rather than using Pi all the time. If I use an Excel file as the basis, there is a twiddly bit at the start before about 500 repetitions of the same note. The anticipation of the first proper variation is quite exciting. If I do use Pi, then apart from the fact that I have only got 1 million places, I have, in concept written an infinite piece of music. Bear this in mind as well, because it is infinite, at some point the whole first million notes will be repeated again. And then the first billion, trillion etc. Every portion of the piece no matter how long will be repeated an infinite number of times at other points. This is a sort of self-similarity isn't it. No matter what part of Pi you look at, it will be repeated somewhere else and not only that, it will be repeated an infinite number of times. Makes my brain ache that. If you used letters instead, you could define any sentence/paragraph/book/'decline and fall of the Roman Empire' using the number of the position in Pi. Of course you would have to have a very long number to define it, the fact being that the number you would have to use would be so high that it would be many times the number of particles in the Universe. But still, the concept is there.

This reminds me of the idea of the Alien who comes to Earth and asks for all the accumulated wisdom of mankind so he can return to his home planet. He scans all this matter in a few seconds and produces a simple metal bar which he then takes with him, the idea being that the metal bar is made so accurately that the EXACT length of it defines a number which can be translated into all the information in the books he was given. Yeah right!

No comments: