Monday, January 13, 2003


New York, Ice-Cream, TV, Travel, Good Times

So what Mr Grimsdale?

Have you ever heard of Jamais Vu? I thought Oliver Sacks had just made it up to contrast with Deja Vu but thinking about it, the feeling of never having experienced something which rationally you know you have actually experienced many times must be as common as Deja Vu. Anyway Deja Vu is almost always not real. I think this is getting dangerously close to what I was arguing with my Brother about, so I will leave off.

I want to lie shipwrecked and comatosed. Maybe I don't really. Having talked about Deja-Vu and Jamais above, I suddenly feel very strange though obviously that maybe lack of sleep. I have to keep looking out of the window to prove to myself that I am in the same location I last remember. Ok so thats a bit over the top but I do have that odd papery feeling you get when you are tired. I am in Zelig mode. Having just read about a Surgeon with Turette's syndrome am now convnced that I have it, not because of any tics or uncontollable obscenity but because of the internal feelings of not being in control. All rubbish of course. Apparently there is a rise in the number of people visiting doctors with specific conditions when those conditions are described in TV soaps. If it is the case that TV soaps affect things like that why isn't everyone dumber than a bunch of rocks? Oh! Maybe they are or is that just the writers?

There is a simulacra on the way to work. Just at one corner on the right hand side of the road there is a plastic bag stuck in a tree in such a place that it combines with marks on the wall below it to form the image of a slightly hunched old lady. I get spooked by it every time I see it even when I remember it before I pass it. Sometimes I just drive by without seeing it. It is amazing how the human mind attempts to turn everything it sees into first a face and then if that is not possible, a human figure. I have just drawn a very simple doodle of a face and then tried to draw more lines over it until it no longer suggests a face. You need a lot of extra lines to turn a face into a non-face.

No comments: