Thursday, January 09, 2003


Casua Belli

It is not often I agree with Andrew Motion (especially after charging for his Millennium Poem) but the poem (linked to above) is a neat summing up of what a lot of people feel. "Quote but never learn". Indeed.

I still think Simon Armitage would have been a better Poet Laureate. I used to listen to him when he was on Mark Radcliffe's show in the evening (Between Out on Blue Six and the breakfast show.). That evening show was wonderful. They had film, art and poetry along with drop-dead-for sessions. They often had the poet who is currently doing the digital radio adverts who is a sort of Yorkshire (I hope I am right - where is my Red Rose by the way?) version of Roger McGough but I cannot remember his name which is sad. I am even contemplating ringing up the DAB authority to ask.

I have found him. He is Ian McMillan who amongst other things is Humberside Police's Beat Poet. You wouldn't think that Humberside police actually need a beat poet would you. His website has opened up a plethora - yes plethora is the only word to describe it - of websites for poets so a bit of perusal is called for. I may even go along to radio crosby's poetry evening in the next few weeks. I am currently listening to the poem by Chloe Poems from the Radio Crosby website. I think they encourage people to stand up and read their own poems so I will sit quietly in a corner.

No comments: