Friday, January 17, 2003


Audit - Audit - Audit

Back again? So Soon? Oh! You meant me? Yes!

The west! I am resisting the impulse I get to captalise such words along with words like 'presidential'. I should take the final step and be like a lot of bloggers and not captalise anything including 'I' but my muscle memory gets the better of me. What about the west? I read the word in this article and it just struck me that we would capitalise it just because that is what we do. The West is something different to the west which is just in that direction. Australia is probably part of 'The West' and yet it is in the east rather than to the east because it is to the west of the United States. It is to the east of us as well of course which means that directions are meaningless everywhere except in a very limited local sense. Why all this rambling? It seems that we may have stumbled onto a Random Friday but that would be wrong.

Do you ever get the feeling that you are not party to something very big? Like everyone else knows something and that you are the only one that has not been told about it. I suppose that this is the beginning of paranoia. I expect a lot of people get it but that most of them simply ignore it as a silly whim. Sudden change of direction here. Oliver Sacks talks about the first time he tried cannabis; he describes holding his hand in front of his eyes and feeling that it was moving away from him and yet retaining its apparent size in his field of view so that eventually it became a cosmic sized hand dominating all around it. I am not advocating any intake of suspect substances to enhance the effect but try it. It seems quite easy to imagine that this has happened even if you know it is not true. Sacks' discussion was prompted by his description of a man in his fifties who had recently had cataracts removed allowing him to see things other than light and dark for the first time since he was a young child. One of the points was that people brought up all of their lives in forests where the distant horizon was never visible were unable to determine the distance of hills when brought out to a plains location. They would try and touch the distant objects. My visual world seems totally familiar to me and yet how can I imagine what anyone else experiences. I know that most people see pretty much what I do iin terms of clarity and cognitive ability and yet what would I make of something I will never experience in reality? What would I make of the Sun from only a few thousand miles away (me being suitably protected from bodily and visual damage)? My brain would have trouble interpreting such an image. What about the last moments as I was pulled apart entering a black hole? My vision and my brain's interpretation of it fits with may experience and pretty much everything I can experience. The extremes of the world are shaded from me. Is this why people blot out horrible experiences from their memory. Maybe they don't possess the cognizance within the brain to decode images of these events and therefore for them the events never happened visually. As by far the largest part of our sensory processing power goes on vision, then maybe the bad events don't register at all after their occurrence.

Friday Hero but they are all flawed.

No comments: