Wednesday, September 06, 2006

That Little Tent of Blue

Most surprised to find that the start of the Doctor Who adventure in my daughter’s comic this month, involved the Doctor breaking Oscar Wilde out of Reading Gaol. This led to an awkward discussion of why our Oscar was actually in Gaol and a wide-ranging debate on why people don’t like things that other people do. Eventually we got onto a potted-history of the Irish Question up to the Good Friday agreement and beyond. I finally managed to get off this subject by telling her about Lady Bracknell and even now as she is supposed to be asleep, there are occasional giggles and exclamations of “A Handbag!” from upstairs. Slightly worried that this will be a playground catchphrase.

I cannot say what I did today – it is covered by the Official Secrets Acts. I wonder if revealing that the Dear Leader is an idiot is covered. I suppose it’s not a secret any more so I suppose not.

No comments: