Sunday, September 10, 2006

The Modern Prometheus

We watched the recent film version of Pride and Prejudice last night and I found it quite wonderful, beautifully shot and fast-paced without losing any of the spirit of the original story (not that I’ve read it and now I have to). My wife however, bemoaned the loss of original dialogue and the ignorance of the social conventions so obvious in longer adaptations. We have to differ though I will admit that it seems that Jane Austen purists have the same feelings as my wife. Maybe I will re-evaluate after I have read this. My current reading (Jane Eyre) is just about to be broadcast in a new version, which looks a little too gothic for my liking – Mary Shelley without the monster. “My – what a Knobstick”! Sorry! Wrong industrial novel there!

No comments: