Monday, September 11, 2006

Black Pudding Lobbers Unite!

This morning while lying awake waiting for the time at which I absolutely, positively had to get up, I found myself daunted by the drive in here and wishing for the evening to come. When I was finally, properly awake, I longed for the next holiday … then for next year, ultimately thinking about how retirement would feel. I don’t think of myself as much older than when I started work, in fact I can’t see any changes in the picture of my own physical appearance that resides somewhere in my mind. I know that this is not true but now, being probably half-way to retirement there is a sort of physical link with both versions of me - The spotty graduate and the (probably still spotty) late middle-ager who will finally hand in his laptop (or implant or whatever it will be then) and look forward to a full life of sitting in front of the telly still too tired to do anything important in the way of art, poetry or gardening. The upshot of all this is that I should stop wishing things away and start filling in with the meaningful stuff. We can’t all do things that we enjoy 100% of the time and still get paid for them.

No comments: