Wednesday, June 04, 2003

The Return of Ranty Bob

Soundtrack - Music From Twin Peaks - Angelo Badalamenti - Watch out for that swinging door!

All of my colleagues (Native Scousers) are telling me I should not get so worked up about the abuse against Liverpool.

It is only because he didn't have his surname on the BBC site that I have not named and shamed "Duncan" who wrote to "Have your Say" to observe "About the only thing that could be cultured in Liverpool is mould." which is of course probably the most cultured thing he could ever say. Reverse self-reference you see. Bertrand Russell could turn him into Meta-language and the whole cosmos would be better off. Does "Duncan" belong to the set of Self-Swallowing sets? Can't decide? Then he does not exist and therefore we can all get on with our lives. The very culture which the "anti" respondents seem to attach solely to Liverpool (ie Shell Suits and Perms etc) is one which pervades all of Society in this country. Choose any big city in the UK as a capital of culture and you will have someone point out the wide-boys and the Scallies along with the cities need for cash to shake of the ills of the industrial path. Blackbird Leys? Southmead? You can drag out any area from any City and show how deprived it is. Maybe I should go along to the poetry readings at the cafe along the road. Of course I would just be listening. No bottle at all me. Excuse me now. I have to go and examine all my old poems for Pathetic Fallacy.

No comments: