Thursday, June 05, 2003

Proust and Saturday Afternoons

Soundtrack - Loveless - My Bloody Valentine Oh what lovely shoes I have.
- Vol1 - Sound Magic - Afro celt Sound System

The smell of floor cleaner in the corridor here at the office has just brought back a wave of memories about school from the late sixties and a strange memory of a place I know I have never been. How can you have a memory of a place you know you have never been? Deja-Vu I suppose; just a dog-leg in the brain which means you remember one thing without another, the actual trigger memory which confirms you have experienced something is absent but is contradicted by the presence of various other stimuli which overall can have a quite powerful effect. This place is some form of Nature reserve, a little like the Attenborough reserve in Nottingham which I have visited albeit at least 35 years ago. I suppose this is the memory really; it is just distorted because I was so young. I must have been only four or five because we moved from Nottingham when I was five (yes I am a native of Nottingham - a Snot being the proper and unfortunate name). I had been given my Mother's binoculars and I think I dropped them to much anger from tall people. I must tell myself that these sorts of accidents should not be met with anger by parents. In the scheme of things they do not matter. Memory is so important because of the reaction it brought out in my parents. Talking about it has made me recall that this was probably my first telling off though so things were not that bad. Parenting is hard work, which lots of people don't seem to want to do. I am sure it has always been like this. Society is getting better despite all these Crime/Vandalism/bad behaviour articles in various tabloid newspapers. I won't name any but one is the only one to have any stuff about the 50th anniversary of the Coronation in it (and a complaint that the BBC put that story underneath stuff about the G8 summit - what is more important for today? - somebody please tell me). My Dad designed the road bridge across the railway outside the Marconi works there (maybe Siemens now - I am not entirely sure as I have not visted there for ages). I was really impressed by this when I was five and I still am. One of the workmen on the site gave me my first piece of chewing gum though I think I can say that I have not had more than ten pieces in my whole life. The bridge piers (The things which hold it up) were described on Tomorrow's World I think because they were innovative designs but I don't think the idea was my Dad's. Should this be called WDIAGR moment or an Andrew Collins moment? Off to look for the Tomorrow's world theme. See you later.

No comments: