Tuesday, June 10, 2003

The Endangered Music Project - The Moogy Trumpet



Soundtrack - Music for the Gods - The Fahnestock South Sea Expedition: Indonesia

Try hard not to freak out listening to this music. I heard music played on the same instruments live in Bali. That is quite an honour. For the story of how this music was recorded go here. All musical sterility has been banished. I am only listening to 'real' instruments today thought that does include such devices as The Interactive Phase Synthesiser, the Ring Modulated Trumpet and the Putney. The slapback bass approximator and the odd note hi-hat are not allowed which excludes Kylie etc. This reminds me of last Night's University Challenge when a team of Times Journalists trounced a team of Cross party MPs 215 to 25 points. Could have guessed who would win but not by that margin. Says a lot about our governors. Though the Times Journalists were obviously a team in a way that the MPs could never be. Anyway one of the questions was working out which Kylie song had been translated into Old English. The starter for ten on this round was easy because the sentence had the last word repeated four times which meant it could only be "I should be so Lucky, Lucky, Lucky, Lucky". I couldn't get the others though. Last week a team of Lawyers were thrashed by four vicars including one who Paxo was flirting with quite outrageously. How about a team from Have I got News for you against one from Just a Minute. try for a game of Cheddar Gorge? I am now listening to Julian Cope and he seems to be joining in with the utterances of the JAM team and sounds strangely like Graeme Garden (just a few seconds delay while I found out how to spell Graeme's name. Why do they never repeat The Goodies. Maybe I will get the video. I am sure my daughter will love it. From Balinese music to the Goodies in one paragraph - Ecky Thump.

No comments: