Wednesday, June 04, 2003

I am not a Scouser but I play one on TV

Liverpool is City of Culture 2008

At the highest level, this is very good. However, nothing is going to be that wonderful.

I have been using a page from a pad of recycled old Ordnance Survey Maps as a book mark. I was wondering yesterday what the village marked on the 8 cm square section of the map was actually like. Click here to see the map. It is in all that lowland just South of The Wash and near King's Lynn. There are no images of the village Tilney All Saints so my idea of creating a sort of random scrapbook of images is flawed. Pathetic and Fallacious possibly. Maybe I should write a poem which is made up completely of Pathetic Fallacy

The Mists and Fogs of Mind

This water is my mind, curtailed spirits
of all the thoughts I ever had,
rising from the marshes of the memory
and layed as drizzle on the vision of this day.

Back to City of culture I think. Look at all this abuse. An argument that Liverpool is only famous for Football and the Beatles could be countered with the argument that Oxford is only famous for colleges. Culture is much more than Shakespeare and stuffy old academia. You could say that Liverpool's decline has been due to the mistakes or greed of people in control of government and industry many of whom were educated at Oxford. Culture emcompasses food, sport, theatre, comedy and all the rest. Culture is not just rake-thin Home-Counties girls up on points or Fat Ladies singing which is what so many of the middle classes imagine it to be. No offence Darcy. Hope the foot gets better soon. I would imagine everything from Irvine Welsh to Irving Berlin via Derry Irvine's wallpaper (at £350 pounds a bloody roll so he comes under Comedy). Derry Irvine? The most contrived link I have ever done. Oh well no censorship. As I was reading those Talking Point messages, it struck me that the view out of my window is of the Liverpool skyline. I do not need to argue with anyone about Liverpool deserving it's City of Culture status. There is no point. It is a case of me (and all the people of Liverpool) being right and all the snobbish detractors being wrong. If there is any political element to the choice then who cares. I know this sounds like "we won and you didn't" but it is more complex than that. Liverpool gets a more-than-deserved amount of abuse, down to the extent of showing the Surgeon in Holby City almost as a caricature scally but what do you expect of a programme with a depth of writing akin to a puddle on the Dock road. Want a thug in a TV show? Write in a Scouser (with a very bad accent).

Oh Ranty Bob today heh? Is it only Wednesday?

No comments: