Friday, October 11, 2002


Zen and the art of sticking your head in a honey pot

What are the mechanisms of Deja Vu? Is it chemistry or electrics or something from the higher functions of our brain. I realise that if I have a look out there on the web I will probably find quite a lot of stuff and some of it will even be serious. This is just my ideas. It was sparked by the feeling this morning as I walked by what I am going to call the lake. Of course most Deja Vu is really just some memory where you can recall the details but not the context or where a memory unrelated in most ways to the current experience is similar in one respect. Do the Jungians out there think Deja Vu has something to do with synchronicity and that they forsee other people's memories or some such rubbish. I am actually bored writing this because just thinking about it for a few minutes and I now know what all Deja Vu is and it no longer has any mystery. Well that scuppers any idea of high intellect held in the Free Journal of my Palm Top.

Down to something really interesting. As I said, I am currently reading "Wind in the Willows" and all its charm has made me really happy. I had forgotten how wonderful it actually was though of course when I first read it I wanted the story rather than the descriptions or the philosophy. It is nice to see the 'special' chapters in it which don't add to the narrative other than by slowing down the main story for effect - Dulce Domum , The Piper at the Gates of Dawn and Wayfarers All. I read The Willows in Winter by William Horwood which was a sequel to The Wind in the Willows and although it was excellently written, if I remember correctly it took place over only a few days rather than being the sweeping saga of the first book. The beauty of The Wind in the Willows was that its serene world was left alone at the end. It is the one book where animals are anthropomorphised and co-exist with humans and you do not have to suspend disbelief for it to work. The life is quiet yet exciting. Read it if you have not read it and read it again if you have. You can get it online but the Ernest H. Sheperd illustrations are brilliant. I can't find any of the drawings from WITW but there is a page of drawings from Winnie The Pooh which he also illustrated. I never read Winnie the Pooh (Only The Tau of Pooh) but the drawings are very good. I think Alice in Wonderland may be the next download.

No comments: