Monday, October 21, 2002


A Slow Walk in the Shadow of an Avalanche

ST - Tokyo/Vermont CounterPoint - Mika Yoshida/Steve Reich

As you can tell I have started bringing CDs into work to drown out the inanity and burbling. That is not so say that my immediate colleagues are the subject of this analysis; it's just that there is a continuous trickle of mobile phone ring tones and people having conference calls on speaker so that the distant gravelly sound of the remote party is audible in all parts of the office and annoys everyone not part of the meeting. I am in Misanthrope mode today.

See this. I am in the 'Revolution' chapters of 'The Autobiography of Arthur Ransome' at the present and while 'Man with a Movie Camera' was made 12 years later, for me it seems to give motion and heart to the AR writing. It also goes to show Russia in a light other than the stock images of communism, deprivation and Mafia pervasion. The 'Kino Eye' reminds me of the Eyeball cutting in 'Un Chien Andalou' (They were made the same year - 1929).



No comments: