Tuesday, October 01, 2002


Close to the Edit

I though I should have a religious day today but I can't really think of what to write about. I suppose, I like the architecture best. We went to Wells Cathedral just after watching a program with Janet Street Porter where she described the original face of the building. It used to be painted in very bright colours. and the cgi additions which were made in the program were fantastic. Why can't they paint it like that now? My favourite bit of any relgious building is the Lady Chapel at Liverpool's Anglican Cathedral which was the first bit to be consecrated. As I can't find any good pictures of it, you will have to wait for me to scan one in. I used to go and sit in the Lady Chapel after Saturday morning shopping, to start reading any new books I had bought, or just to sit quietly. It has just occurred to me that I can see the tower of the Liverpool Anglican Cathedral from this window. Our view is just the top of the tower because one of our own buildings is in the way. The same building completely obscures the Catholic Cathedral



(From http://www.liverpoolcathedral.org.uk/)

The Liverpool Anglican Cathedral is the largest Cathedral in Europe and it shows. A friend of mine has a brother in law who used to work as a security guard at the Cathedral and he took us inside the bits which are normally off-limits. At the point where the base of the tower joins the main structure, there is an inside balcony which overlooks the main cavernous interior. It looks down on the central rose where the architect - Giles Gilbert Scott - is buried. Giles Gilbert Scott also designed the traditional red telephone box. There seem to be more of them in the US than there are here. Why did they get replaced? They were draught-proof, sound proof and the only minus point I can see is that you risked damaging your back every time you opened the door because they were so heavy. Now we have two sheets of perspex and a pillar. There was time when it amazed me that the red telephone box was designed in 1925 and put into production in 1935. Now it seems impossible that it ever came from another time. GGS also designed Bankside powere stations which is now the Tate gallery of Modern art. It has just occurred to me that Bankside power station and the Anglican Cathedral look very similar. Compare them yourself.

No comments: