Tuesday, October 22, 2002


It was Giant Ants!

I drive by Liverpool Docks every morning and now the dark mornings are here, it is quite a spectacular sight. One of the main unloading areas comes right up to the main road which links Liverpool to Southport and beyond. (see this Aerial Photo to get an idea of how close). Four or five big container ships can fit in this dock so the appearance of the whole dock changes all the time. I get like Ratty in the Wind in The Willows occasionally and want to pack up some essentials in a large spotted handkerchief and travel the world on one of these ships. The strange thing is that the bit of green which you can see in the Top left hand corner of the photo, is actually a nature reserve with hides. Because of the traffic from all over the world, birders get the occasional rare specied to twitch and ogle at. I should take some photos of the docks. I used to live in a flat above an off-licence in Walton when I first started work here and at weekends I used to cycle up North of the docks. I was always quite fascinated by them. My Wife's Father was a docker there in the days when you had to turn up each morning to see if they wanted you for the day. I suspect there are plenty of dock ,managers who would like to return to those days. Still, it seems that if companies can't behave the way they used to, they will try and achieve the same results by sailing as close to the current legislation as they can. Nothing changes really. There is a wonderful Black and White photo of Liverpool Dockers from about the time my Father-in-Law worked there in the Phaidon Century book but I am afraid you will have to buy it yourself to see the picture though you won't be disappointed if you don't like that picture. 10 pictures from each year of the whole of the 20th century should be enough for anyone. Be warned though - some of the pictures are quite gruesome, but then again so is life.

If Google is accurate I can be the first person on the web to mention that "Phaidon Century" is on Will's Coffee table in "Will and Grace". I can't find any reference to this or any photos of the set.

We will drown in a sea of photographs. There is no history but this.

No comments: