Friday, August 05, 2005

You Polishing My Oscar? How Very Dare You!

More on this wonderful new building. There is simply-furnished seating area in what looks like the observation deck of a ship, just above the reception area of this building. Indeed, the walkways that surround the open reception area resemble the railings of some sort of liner. It is quite refreshing to be able to look out over this rural bit of South Lancashire after the years of brick walls and mid-eighties, Dallas-style glass frontages. Very civilized it is.

I made a point of noting down thoughts for comment yesterday and they turned out to be wishy-washy and pointless really. However, I thought of something which I was sure was going to be the starting point for a truly great entry and guess what! I’ve forgotten it. The concept is playing a tantalizing game of brinkmanship with my rapidly-failing memory but will not surface enough to allow me to define it further. At the moment I don’t even have enough of a handle on it to put down a few bullet points as memory-joggers.

My conversations with my colleague, Martin, who has just returned from two weeks in Tuscany, ranged over many things yesterday and I seem to think that the ground-breaking-but-elusive thoughts referred to in the previous paragraph were sparked by one of these discussions. And I still cannot think what it was about. We talked about the suitability of your average judge to decide on the future of your average chav, how the papers are running dangerously close to being in contempt of court over recent events and whether Jeremy Clarkson can be described as a ‘Capitalist Folk Hero’. Not one of these things is what I am after but it was worth a try.

A busy weekend is ahead. Barbecue, cinema, art gallery, more on Six Pianos and plenty more I am sure. I got a text yesterday which said ‘Pram dies’ which had me thinking for several seconds at least, that I didn’t know anyone called Pram. It should of course have read ‘THE Pram died’ as it meant that a wheel had come off. Luckily I was able to fix it when I got home. I am not sure it will last the distance as at the moment it is serving more as a shopping trolley that happens to be able to carry Number One Son rather than a baby carriage that also has room for shopping. We’ll train him up to carry a couple of bags and then we’ll be sorted. Joke – before anyone writes in.

No comments: