Thursday, August 11, 2005

Great Driving Moments #134

Listening to Ron’s Piece by Jean Michel Jarre

One thing I did get from How Long Is A Piece Of String? is that most numbers in meaningful situations – accounts, surveys etc – start with a 1. The reason for this is not entirely clear and I can’t even remember the possible given solution. I thought I would just explain the number up there.

Anyway, the drive here through spitting rain was quite atmospheric. The shock of the tripled distance to work has worn off and the various sights are filtering into my mind. There is a little lock-keeper’s cottage in a valley under the motorway which on some mornings has a misty shroud around it. There are many great little images of Britain on this journey. It is just a pity that so much of the drive is on the Motorway and the bits that aren’t are through industrial estates rather than clear and well-kept bits of rural Lancashire. I can drive home ‘cross-country’ but that takes longer and the pull of home is greater than the desire to see nice fields etc. The music for today’s journey was Piano Concerto in G by Ravel followed by Hary János - suite, Op 35a by Zoltan. Can you tell I just copied them from the Radio 3 playlist? ITW?

It sounds like I am going to be purchasing the M6 Sights Guide soon. As it is, my colleagues and I are beginning to discuss the journey to work more than we used to. Some years ago, someone joined the company from York and rather than move he commuted twice a week from that fair city to Liverpool and his discussion after the journey was road-orientated in the extreme. He was no tank-top but it did begin to get to us. Now we know why for we all do it. “Nasty queue at the M58/M6 junction this morning” – “See that fire on the verge just south of Charnock-Richard?” – “Watch out for the squashed hedgehog East of Skem”. We are all overtired.

Where does the time go? I was in here at 06:40 this morning with a view to a long blog entry and here I am with only officially half-an-hour before start time. I try to deal with the email first and one of these was a survey (required by the company) a survey which shall we say produced more comments regarding the survey in the any-other-information box than comments referring to what it was actually surveying. Try and work that out. I tried but it got away from me.

No comments: