Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Slugger And Link Heaven

A long day today – lots of VBA and VB and many cross-references between various open applications. I have two screens on this Pc and small-boy that I am, it still amuses me to see the mouse pointer slide off one side of the main screen and then reappear on the other. For a few moments the other day I was convinced that the computer knew where the slave screen was in relation to the master one but it was just me forgetting things. I am making an effort to keep both the physical desk and the windows desktop tidy rather than revisit the mess of disorganization that characterized my previous workstation.

Listening to Music for 18 Musicians – Yes I have set up my giant Black iPod and am back on full stream random shuffle. .net Development, database import and great music! Heaven in a CPU and I get paid for it. Bliss.

I nearly bought the book about the The Voynich Manuscript which is the subject of this TV programme but I got How Long is a Piece of String? instead. I whistled through that and now feel unsatisfied. Should have gone for the weightier tome but I already have too many things on the go. The Ancestor’s Tale is veering between boring detail and exciting pronouncements and tantalizing references to things to come. Still not at jettison stage yet and at over half-way through I will probably finish it if I can keep focused. I really should read The Selfish Gene. The fact that I have not read it reminds me of a literary game in David Lodge’s book Changing Places where the characters (staff at a University in California) have to admit to the famous books which they have not read. I usually buy any David Lodge novel which comes out but as the last one, Author! Author!, is a departure in that it is a novelisation of some part of the life of Henry James, I am taking it cautiously this time. The previous book – Thinks… – was excellent, hitting the spot on cognitive science and having a tantalizing glimpse of Robyn Penrose from one of the earlier novels – Nice Work. An appearance by a character from a previous novel is obviously Lodge’s trademark. And just look at the new covers – Imagine all those in one place – like the covers of all the Realworld CDs.

Boring rant about another obsession – You may wish to come back tomorrow.

Six Pianos goes on apace – slow pace maybe but bits and pieces are done. I have worked out where middle c is on my list of midi notes and attached the relevant midi numbers to the stave used for definition. I still need to set up drag-and-drop for the sharp and flat symbols to be attached to the bars.

No comments: