Thursday, August 18, 2005

I’ve Lost Hetty Wainthrop’s Hobbit

I hope you are the same but I go through life with many one-for-one associations between things cluttering up my head. I think about going to school in winter and see myself in the gloom of early morning, dressed in my dark-blue gabardine raincoat (and always a cap despite probably not ever wearing one) walking along pavements to an undefined school in an undefined city. I think about holidays and there is my dad in his fifties over-the-head windcheater like the 53 Everest expedition wore on the lower slopes, map and binoculars around his neck with me and my brother dragging along behind him. I am thinking that a negative aspect of this is that it is a form of stereotyping. From a cursory reading of the Wikipedia entry on Freud this is an element of the ego, which has memory and various filters to rein in the baser instincts of the id, which has no sense of history. Pompous exhibition of recently learned knowledge is over.

No comments: