Wednesday, August 14, 2002


What not to write about

What demons are out there today? I am having trouble sleeping at the moment with all the things going on in the world. Why do I need to worry? There is no chance I will starve (Quite the opposite), no chance I will step on a landmine, no chance I will go without shelter. Sometimes I crave a simpler life. Why is my life so complicated? I don't think it really is; I just think it is so. I want to be like Bill Travers in 'Ring of Bright Water'. It was on TV the other day. We have been to the Western Isles but I don't think there is much chance we will end up there. It was very nice while it lasted but I bet the winters are awful. Even so, if you are inside with a fire and a house you know won't blow away, even a storm is quite nice. I am trying to find a webcam but they are a bit thin on the ground up there. The nearest I can get is this one at Kyle. I stayed in the hotel which you can see in the distance. I took a few days off and just drove up there in a day because I saw Michael Palin in Great Railway Journeys ( why isn't 'Journeys' spelt 'Journies'?). I suppose I should have made an effort and gone by train but it was raining and would have taken two days. Michael went to collect the 'Kyle of Localsh' railway sign. I just went to say I had been. I have been back since then, memorably on one day when the rain was horizontal. The sheep were lying down behind any wall they could find and I was glad that the wind was coming inland as we drove around the coast of Skye. For some good pictures of Scotland go here.

Short one today.

No comments: