Thursday, August 01, 2002


More GOD-Over-Djinn

I want to build some sort of hideaway. My daughter got more Big Lego Bricks for her 4th birthday which means that as an architect (though obviously not as a builder) she has enough bricks to reach the ceiling, in an unstable way. Of course, I have to put anything other than the lowest bricks onto the tower. Unfortunately, there are not enough of the biggest bricks which means that the cross section of the tower is only one lego element wide at the top and very unstable. It will fall at the slightest movement. Currently it is only just taller than she is but it does have a platform at the top for the placement of small dolls and other anthropomorphised things. I have found myself wanting to be up there myself, able to shut out the world and just look out at what is going on. It struck me that this is just like the 'hermits-on-a-pole' thing though I think I would require some sort of shelter on this pole. In the virtual lego on the PC, it is possible to build a tower many bricks high which is perfectly stable AND then build an entire house on that. Of course in the real world, I would be petrified of living in such a structure even if common-sense told me it was perfectly safe (though it wouldn't be). Despite having a reasonable appreciation of talls buildings and high bridges, I have not inherited my Father's complete lack of fear of heights. I know he is an engineer but such disregard for gravity is weird. I suppose it is like the Native Americans who work on the sky-scrapers in New-York without any fear. It must simply be exposure to the situation rather than anything inbuilt.

Try this experiment. Imagine you are designing some sort of labyrinth. You draw the walls on paper; they only have to be one line thick. Imagine that the real thing will be built of stone and roofed but located in some desert where it is hot and windy during the day and below freezing at night. There are no doors anywhere; any openings are straight onto the outside world. It must be very simple to start. Then imagine where you would have to sit to feel sheltered from the outside world. Keep drawing walls until you are comfortable with where you are to be placed within the building. This isn't part of the experiment but you might like to look at this page on Mathematics in Art and Architecture which has a bit about the Chartres labyrinth and so much more. Can I do this course?

The ultimate idea is to just be; not recognising even the methods which you use to reach that state of enlightenment. It is to deny everything that allows you to reach a state where you can deny everything. Sounds like double-think to me but at the same time strangely compelling. Still, if it nullifies the pain of existence.

No comments: